Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Why We Preach

But whereunto shall I liken this generation? It is like children sitting in the markets, and calling unto their fellows, and saying, "We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced. We have mourned unto you, and ye have not lamented." For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, "He hath a devil." The Son of man came eating and drinking and they say, "Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners." But wisdom is justified of her children. -- Mat 11:16 - 19

Some people simply cannot be pleased. It does not matter what you do, or how hard you do it. They will find fault. They will believe the worst, and they will choose to be offended. Regardless how good your cause or how righteous your effort, there will be those who will insist that you and what you do are of no value.

There was a time when such things truly bothered me -- especially when I considered the detractor to be godly. There were even times when I wondered if there was some merit to their assessment. Then I began to look at what these naysayers were actually doing themselves, and I ceased to regard their opinions at all.

Yeshua said unto him, "Let the dead bury their dead; but go thou and preach the kingdom of God." -- Luk 9:60

We are to preach the word of God. Being called to preach literally means we are no longer our own, but His to wield. I do many things that people are astonished at, and I offend some in it. They think I do these things to credit or  promote myself. No, I do them, because the Spirit urges me to.

The Baptist came preaching and teaching a fiery message. He kept himself separate from the religious groups of the day, opposing them to promote the LORD. Today I keep myself from the accepted religious organizations, too. Like those of the Baptist's day, they are largely out of line with the truth.

Preaching and teaching the word of God is not about being popular or liked. It isn't about being worshiped by the members of your church or having their approval. It is about the truth of God. It is about standing against the fires of hell itself especially when it isn't popular to do so.

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long-suffering and doctrine. -- 2 Tim 4:2

We are to preach His word, regardless. So many today do it for profit. Others do it for fame. But those who are truly His do it because He IS God, and as such, deserves our undivided devotion and unreserved love. In such a state, preaching, even amongst those of hardened hearts, is like breathing. How could we live without it? It is life unto our very souls.

Blessings,

Betty



No comments:

Post a Comment