Friday, June 24, 2016

Taking the Hard Stand

After years of watered-down Gospel, many actually believe that the early church was gentle in its approach. We forget that they were familiar with crucifixion. Even if they had not actually witnessed the Lord being crucified, they most likely would have seen someone, if not several someones,  crucified. So, they did not suffer from the delusion that being pleasant was more important than getting it right. As a result, they were at times downright blunt.

But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. -- Gal 2:11

While Paul might well have been a hesitant to call Peter on this, I'm certain he felt he had no choice. I'm sure he regarded Peter as a brother, and fellow heir to the promises. So, when he opposed Peter, it would have been because Peter was making a very serious mistake.

I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness comes by the law, then Christ is dead in vain. -- Gal 2:21

Paul did not oppose Peter lightly, that is, he did not do it to discredit Peter. No, quite literally Paul was actually standing up for the Lord. Peter was trying to please his Jewish brethren. In putting what they wanted ahead of what he knew to be true, he was actually promoting a salvation by works -- negating the cross. Paul opposed him because Christ's sacrifice gives us salvation by grace through faith not work -- less any should boast. So, it was a very big deal.

I personally believe Peter was probably glad Paul opposed him -- after he thought about it. It is far, far better to be corrected than to wander down so deadly a path. And, I'm just as certain that Paul did not feel superior towards Peter. No, he was probably just perplexed that Peter would promote such a teaching.

We all make mistakes and we all need correcting from time to time. So, it isn't really about who is right, because the truth is that God is the only one who is always right. No, this is about representing the Gospel correctly.

Today, we also believe that it is wrong to speak of such encounters, much less write about them, but we see in Galatians that Paul did just that. Why? Because such teachings must be corrected. Paul did not write to put Peter down or elevate himself. No, he wrote because the teaching was deadly. People would die and go to hell over it.

I tend to speak and write about things, too. Some have taken exception to that, because they think I would make a name for myself while treading someone else under. They've even convinced themselves that I think myself better. That absolutely is not the case.

In the first place the only thing I think I am is called, and God Himself has proved that out many, many times. Secondly, I am more aware of all my faults than anyone else, save the Lord, and I've absolutely no delusions about my standing. The fact is I'm saved by His merciful grace, and led by His abundant generosity. Did you get that? It's Him in me not me of my own worth. Literally, if it were not for His indwelling, I would be nothing more than a clanging cymbal. I know this better than you ever will. However, like Paul, because of the Lord's leading, I also know when something must be brought out.

Serious missteps must be brought out. They absolutely must be corrected. Why? They catch on. Liars run with them and the next thing you know, they're being taught like they're the absolute truth. It's not about belittling anyone. Did you really think I relished the opportunity to correct a brother or sister? Perplexed, that's what I felt. Absolutely perplexed. And I did not do so lightly, either. No, it took everything I had, because I do respect the one in question.

This nation is in judgment. The time for making a name for ourselves is past. The time for building ourselves up is also gone. People are dying because of false teachings. They don't know the truth, and they won't unless we spell it out for them. We need to be throwing out lines to everyone we can, every time we can -- snatching them from the fire like today is the only day we have to rescue them. We're at war with the devil and he is using every toehold he can get. We need to be busily filling in those anchors and casting him down.

I'm sorry if you don't get this. I doubly sorry if you actually believed I enjoy such encounters, but I can't afford to let your opinion stop me from the course I'm called to. This isn't a game. I don't do this for fun. No, I do this because the Lord is my LORD, and I fully intend to teach what He what He has shown me.

Am I intense? Am I blunt? Yes, I absolutely am, but after all people are dying and going into the horrors of hell. I think it's high time we starting practicing the same kind of intensity the early church practiced.

But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, "O generation of vipers . . ." -- Mat 3:7  John the Baptist

Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain . . . -- Act 2:23  Peter

Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye. -- Act 7:51  Stephen

We should be passionate about our faith and our Lord. When I'm out casting His net, I'm usually very passionate. He's the LORD. He deserves to have us be passionate about Him. He does not deserve for us to think so much of ourselves or our friends that we would abandon His teachings to please them. It's a hard stand to take, but it is the one we are called to.


No comments:

Post a Comment