Friday, February 7, 2014

Not Forgetting to Praise

by Betty Baker Bailey

Even in the valley we can find ourselves smiling as we contemplate our awesome God. His incredible power, His merciful love, His all-knowing wisdom – all serve to comfort us in the midst of the storm. We know that He can keep us. No matter how great the tempest, it cannot best Him. With a word He can send it away, dissipate it into thin air, or rebuke it to the depths. In fact, there is nothing He is not the Master of.

In a time of judgment it is easy to think there is nothing to smile about, but the truth is that it is always time to praise God. And praising God just makes us smile. I don’t know about you, but I can’t help it. In the middle of my weepy, pleading -- if I stop to think about how magnificent He is, I soon find myself smiling from ear to ear. He’s just that totally, awesome. Then I have to tell Him, “You know, Father, that I love You and that I am glad – despite everything – that You are who You are.” Why?

To me God is the ultimate authority, the best of the best, the greatest of the great. His superiority to us is so extreme that we cannot even begin to express it. He knows absolutely everything. Powerful enough to set planets to spinning, His thoughts create from nothing. Everything that is came to be at His command. I am not just in awe of Him; I am completely captivated by Him.

So, I look at the judgment He is about to unleash on us and I think, “Well, we could run, but there isn’t any place to hide. We could argue, but He’s never wrong.” So, instead I plead with Him, and then I praise Him. Who knows, perhaps He’ll have mercy on us. Whether He does or not, He deserves to be praised. He deserves to have all the angels and all of us worship Him with all our hearts, and all our souls, and all our minds. He’s just that kind of God, deserving.

As a young girl I was privileged to be part of a children’s choir. To this day I sing the old hymns as I go through the day. Even at night, when I’m deep in prayer, I’ll whisper them to Him. How can I not? What a wonderful God we serve! Today’s song is: When the Roll is Called up Yonder. How I love every word! How they comfort my soul! Why don’t you sing with me? It’ll only take a minute, but the comfort cannot be beat.

When the Roll is Called up Yonder
by James M. Black

When the trumpet of the Lord shall sound and time shall be no more,
And the morning breaks eternal, bright and fair;
When the saved of earth are gathered over on the other shore,
And the roll is called up yonder, I’ll be there.

When the roll is called up yonder, When the roll is called up yonder,
When the roll is called up yonder, When the roll is called up yonder,
When the roll is called up yonder, I’ll be there.

On that bright and cloudless morning when the dead in Christ shall rise,
And the glory of His resurrection share;
When His chosen ones shall gather to their home beyond the skies,
And the roll is called up yonder, I’ll be there.

When the roll is called up yonder, When the roll is called up yonder,
When the roll is called up yonder, When the roll is called up yonder,
When the roll is called up yonder, I’ll be there.

Let us labor for the Master from the dawn till setting sun,
Let us talk of all His wondrous love and care;
Then when all of life is over and our work on earth is done.
And the roll is called up yonder, I’ll be there.

When the roll is called up yonder, When the roll is called up yonder,
When the roll is called up yonder, When the roll is called up yonder,
When the roll is called up yonder, I’ll be there.

Blessing Brothers and Sisters. May God pour out His Spirit in your hearts to His glory.

God’s peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment