Friday, March 13, 2015

Having Job's Perspective

"Keep silent and let me speak; then let come to me what may. Why do I put myself in jeopardy and take my life in my hands? Though He slay me, yet will I hope in Him; I will surely defend my ways to His face. Indeed, this will turn out for my deliverance, for no godless man would dare come before Him!" -- Job 13:13-16

Job experienced serious trials in his life. He lost most of his servants, all his earthly wealth, and all his children. He went from being a richly blessed, wealthy man to a childless pauper in a flash. And, yet, he still worshipped the Lord.

At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said:

"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised." -- Job 1:20-21

Today we have an entitlement attitude. We believe we deserve to be blessed, and are furious when we aren't. We don't see the mercies of God as mercy. We see them as His obligation to us. Job had the right attitude. He realized that God is not obligated to see to our needs, let alone our desires.

In mercy God created all things. He gave us being, life, and all that we need for life. Then He topped it off by sacrificing His only Son that we might be redeemed to Him for eternity. His astounding magnificence took great care to regard for our pitiful ineptitude. We are literally dust in His hands. Yet, we think He owes us? No, the proper attitude is humble gratitude.

Thank You, Father, for Your great mercy.
Thank You for Your peace and grace.
Grant to us this day wisdom and direction --
  Wisdom that we might truly be thankful and
  Direction that we might use this day wisely.
All honor and praise are rightly Yours.
We submit to Your complete authority.
Have mercy, Father, for we are at Your mercy.
We ask it all in Yeshua's name.
Amen and amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment