Monday, March 9, 2015

Choosing to Praise

We all have people and things in our lives that just make us want to run screaming, yet some still manage to go through life smiling. Truly there are many things that make life today seem almost impossible. The status of our nation alone is enough to stress one out. However, we serve a magnificently wonderful God and He still cares for us. Whatever our problems are He is still completely capable of delivering us from them all. So, the thing to do is not to let circumstances overwhelm us; but rather, to focus on who He is.

By focusing on Him we cannot help but realize just how absolutely in control He is. We are drawn to His incredible abilities and amazed at His regard for us. That leads to praise and choosing to praise lessens the impact of our troubles upon our hearts and minds. In time He surely does deliver us, but while we wait upon Him praise gives us strength in the valley.

I learned years ago to recite certain Scripture before I went to bed and sing His praises as I go through the day -- even if only in my head. These things have kept me through some pretty serious and difficult times. In addition to the 23rd Psalm, I love these verses from 103:

Bless the Lord, O my soul;
And all my inmost being, praise His holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
And forget not all His benefits --
Who forgives all your sins, and heals all your diseases.
Who redeems your life from the pit, and crowns you with love and compassion;
Who satisfies your desires with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagles.

Everyone has trials and tribulations. Everyone suffers loss. Everyone faces obstacles that seem impossible. Yet, our God is infinitely able. He keeps us even when it looks to the outside world like all is lost. We can trust Him, and we should. He isn't just our Creator, but our wonderful Master and Lord. If we remain in Him, He will keep us -- not because I say so, but because He does.

"If you remain in Me and My words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you." -- Joh 15:7

No comments:

Post a Comment