Sunday, March 2, 2014

My Beloved Granny

by Betty Baker Bailey

Long ago when I was young,
When nursery rhymes rolled off my tongue,
I remember Granny come to call
With goodies packed away for all.

Her silver hair was her disguise
For Granny was both young and wise.
She told us truths to make us think
And set us laughing with her hi-jinks!

And when she cooked, we all drooled.
Her cakes and pies rarely cooled.
Eggs blossomed into royal feasts;
Luscious treats from a little yeast.

Fun as such few ever knew
Was mine as Granny and I grew.
She taught me how to tell a tale
So it could never quite grow stale.

She helped me see the truth of God;
To trace the steps that Jesus trod;
And gave me purpose just to know
That in His way I was to grow.

Yes, Granny, I do miss you, dear.
Forgive as I must shed a tear.
Not because I begrudge your date
With the keeper outside Heaven’s gate.

It’s just that I still love you so
Sometimes I almost want to go;
To join you somewhere in the skies
Where angels sing you lullabies.

A forgotten scene flashes out of time,
A graceful Granny in her prime.
Her gray hair flowing in the wind
She races past me to the end.

Perhaps it’s Granny with a wink
Reminding me to stop and think;
Where others may be meek and mild
My Beloved Granny may just be . . . running wild!

No comments:

Post a Comment